Koinonia Farm was founded in 1942 by Clarence and Florence Jordan and Martin and Mabel England as a “demonstration plot for the Kingdom of God.” For them, this meant an intentional community of believers sharing their lives and resources, following the example of the first Christian communities as described in the Acts of the Apostles.  Koinonians shared not only faith and resources, but also work. They farmed the land for their livelihood, and sought ways to work in partnership with the land.  

 

Koinonians focused on the poor quality of local housing and began a project to build decent, affordable homes for their neighbors. The housing ministry evolved into Habitat for Humanity International under the leadership of Millard and Linda Fuller, who were members of Koinonia.